fredag, januari 18, 2008

Distributed version control and SVN

As everyone else has discovered, I've just realized how nice DVCS can be. Of course, I'm part of several open source projects that all happen to use Subversion. I've tried Bazaar, Mercurial, Git and SVK. Of all these, Mercurial is the one I really, really like. But here is the problem: hgsvn is really not up to scratch right now. I tried to pull some stuff from SVN at one project and it immediately errored out. git-svn on the other hand works like a charm. It seems that right now I have to use git, unless someone has a good solution for getting Mercurial really working with SVN. (Also, the fact that hgsvn is pull-only is a bit problematic.)

Advice appreciated.

6 kommentarer:

Jeff Waugh sa...

Bazaar works really nicely with SVN.

Anonym sa...

any thoughts on darcs?

Anonym sa...

hey, we are using hgsvn(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/hgsvn) without a problem in production for more than a year now (our protocol is svn+ssh but it should work with http as well).

what's is your problem?

Anonym sa...

After a year with Mercurial I can wholeheartedly recommend it, but I have never used hgsvn.

I found this blogpost interesting though: http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2007/12/30/why_mercurial/

Unknown sa...

The hgsvn package only installs hgpullsvn by default, but it also comes with a tool, hgpushsvn, that can be installed manually. You have to be a bit careful to sync changes to your working directory, but otherwise it works very well.

Alok sa...

Given that you like git-svn so much, can you elaborate what do you like about Hg that does not exist in Git?