torsdag, februari 14, 2008

Scala exploration status

Someone asked in a comment where my Scala exploration were going. It's a fair question.

I did a first implementation of the core of the system I was using. Most of if was tested using Specs (which incidentally is very good, and even more importantly - have a responsive creator). Now, I realized a while back that the implementation weren't really using Scala properly. I had mostly used the imperative way of doing things. So I'm planning a rewrite of these parts, using pattern matchin, case classes and more recursive algorithms correctly. It's kinda funny. I didn't expect this to happen since I have so much experience with functional languages. But apparently, the fact that Scala looks like Java in many regards makes it very easy to slip into the Java imperative mode. Not good.

Right now I'm spending some time working on the next release of JtestR, writing on a book, and doing some pesky day time work. =) Also, JRuby needs to have its 1.1 release. I expect to get back to Scala within one or two weeks, though.

1 kommentar:

David Linsin sa...

Maybe the "imperative mode" is the more natural mode ? ;-)